Brock's Performance Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > YOU have questions....WE have answers!! > The ACTION ! - Brock's Question and Answer Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BUSA 02-07 Clutch Cushion Kit Question???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hayabusa133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUSA 02-07 Clutch Cushion Kit Question???
    Posted: June/06/2013 at 12:20pm
Hey,
      I just received my clutch cushion kit today, I'm noticing that the kit comes with an extra friction plate. I read through the entire installation instructions and I'm not seeing anything about the placement of this Friction plate.Can anyone tell me where does this extra plate go? And what is the reason for this plate???
     I am planning on changing all my steel and fiber plates. Does this extra plate go together with all the stock plates or do I have to now order one less friction plate???

Thanks Mark R.
*EJ* View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote *EJ* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 1:14pm
Mark,

You will remove the fiber with large inner diameter hole, 1 thin fiber and 2 metal washers, this will make room for cushion kit and thick fiber that was sent with kit. Instructions show 1 thick fiber in first and 1 in last, this will end up with 7 thin fibers and steels and 2 thick fibers and steels, total of 9 fibers and 9 steels. When ordering new clutch order for 99-01 Busa, you will not receive the large I.D. hole fiber and 2 metal washers that need to be removed from 02-07 for cushion kit.
Brock View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 3:31pm
Mark,

Did you receive the 02-07 Clutch Cushion Supplement Instructions with your kit?

Brock
Hayabusa133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hayabusa133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 10:21am
Thank you EJ...I think I got it..I will just have to buy the clutch steel and fibers kit for the 1999 to 2001 hayabusa minus one Thick fiber since I already have one thick fiber that was sent with the clutch cushion kit. RIGHT???
Brock View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2013 at 6:05pm
Yes.

If you purchase a complete clutch for a 99-01, you won't need the fiber we send. Or you can purchase without.

***BUT*** Suzuki sells complete kits for $149.95 RETAIL now, so I would buy it and just keep our plate as a spare.

Brock

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hayabusa133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 3:22pm
I just received my new MTC Billet Clutch Hub today..It came with spacers, bolts and springs....

I also have a new clutch Cushion Kit from Brock's Performance. The Clutch Cushion Kit Consists of The following:

1- Dual-stage clutch cushion
1- Cushion ring
1- Thick fiber clutch plate
6- Load control clutch springs (a staggered assembly of four heavy duty springs and two extra heavy duty springs)

I also Have a Brock's Performance MTC Conversion Kit #270435 (Required to use the Brock's Clutch Cushion Kit with the MTC Billet Clutch Hub).

The Brock's MTC Conversion Kit is a Clutch Spring Spacer Kit .280 Thick....

I am using the stock clutch set up (Basket, Pressure plate, steels and fibers.)

I need to know if I have to use both of the spacers...(The set I got with the MTC Billet Inner Clutch Hub) and The Spacers I got with the (Brock's MTC Conversion Kit?)

Do the spacers have to work together? Or Do I have to only use one set?
I read online that the MTC Supplied spacers are for the MTC HUB to work on a stock style set up (NOT the Slider Clutch/Lock UP clutch systems.) 

I am thinking that I have to use both of the spacers because the clutch cushion kit and MTC conversion kit can only work with the Spacers supplied by Brock's Performance and in order to Use the MTC Clutch Hub with the stock style clutch set up (which I have), I'll have to use the Spacers supplied by MTC...

Can anyone please correct me if I'm wrong....

I need to know this for sure before I take my bike apart...I hope I explained my concern correctly and I hope I didn't confuse anyone..PLEASE feel FREE to ask any questions if you need me to clear up anything...

Thanks
Mark R.
Brock View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 5:07pm
Mark.

In an attempt to keep the 'spacer' confusion down to a minimum...

MTC should have supplied you with a set of stand-offs (with small holes) to extend your inner hub outward. This is because MTC uses GS1100 style springs in their clutches, which have an installed height of approximately 1.12 in.

Our Clutch Cushions and springs are designed for use with Busa's, which have an installed clutch spring height of .790. We sell our MTC adaptor kit (.280 thick) which gives you .050 to work with to fine tune your spring pressure, if desired.

I personally suggest installing 2X .025 shims on each post and call it done.

1 purple S13-HD @.790 = 70 lbs. ( X4 springs) = 280 lbs.
1 green S13- EHD @.790 = 165 lbs. ( X2 springs) = 330 lbs.

Total = 610 lbs. 

YES--- that seems like a SEVERE amount of spring pressure!

**BUT** please remember that you lost @10% of your frictional area when you removed 1 fiber plate to make room for the cushion.

Also, the orange ring acts like a synthetic spring behind your clutch pack, which offsets your static pressure by about 130 lbs. This means that your net pressure is actually > 610 lbs. - 130 lbs. or 480 lbs. Total, which we have found to be just about perfect for 90% of all applications.

You can reduce the pressure some (-.025 shim or so, -.050 for VERY light riders) but it is not recommended, as seriously reduced clutch life can occur. 

This set-up will provide smooth, chatter free, peak performance- even as your clutch pack wears to it's minimum limits. We do recommend periodic inspection. Simply replace any glazed, worn or warped items. I rarely replace more than 2-3 steels or fibers at once - usually every 3-4 trips to the track or so. I can't remember the last time I replaced an entire clutch, it's been years since I've had a catastrophic failure. But when I do, I pull the pan - clean it out and clean out the pick-up. Not doing so has killed more rod bearings than you can imagine Confused

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Brock

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hayabusa133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2013 at 11:50pm
Brock,

I am a bit confused.

So seeing that I'm planning on using the springs supplied with your clutch cushion kit and your MTC Adaptor kit. ARE you saying that I won't have to use the stand-offs supplied by MTC???

Or Does your clutch cushion and MTC adaptor kit have to work with the MTC Supplied stand-offs???

Are the stand-off's for the hub itself or are they for use with the MTC Supplied springs ONLY???

Thanks
Mark R.
 Post Reply Post Reply