Brock's Performance Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > YOU have questions....WE have answers!! > The ACTION ! - Brock's Question and Answer Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off idle engine behavior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: off idle engine behavior
    Posted: April/27/2012 at 2:19am
Hi Brock(and all here)...I installed your street zx14R 'package' a while back...a few weeks ago.The Guhl flashed ECU(Brock's)...the CT single full exhaust,and the PCV with your street map.She ran very strong and all...no problem there.HOWEVER...I removed everything back to stock because the off idle performance(slow rolling and parking lot type speeds...u-turns and such was very 'unsmooth'...lots of lurching and pulsing going on at those speeds.I feathered the clutch several times and blipped the throttle,that seemed to 'almost' stop it while it was going on...but it's there all the time really(the slow speed pulsing)The idle didn't want to stay even either.Not crazy off mind you...but hunting pretty good.

I reinstalled my stock ECU....the problem was still there with the PCV and mapping.I removed everything...kept my stock ECU in there...the idling thing smoothed out and the low speed driveability returned.The Guhl ECU will cause a tiny bit of 'hunting'...but the low speed takeoff thing does not happen with the flashed ECU.Can you help with this?Thanks...Monty
mick46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2012 at 5:41pm
I have the same set up (without the ECU mods), and yes it does hunt at idle, and is pretty much unrideable from idling speed. Interestingly my PCV equipped S1000RR did the same with (totally different) race system and tune. Personally I would not expect any performance motorcycle to pull from idling revs especially one with a de-cat race system. 
The fuelling on the ZX14R with the Brocks pipe and PCV map is beautifully clean from about 2000rpms upwards, a very good result for a full system.
 Having gone to the trouble and expense of fitting a race developed exhaust, which delivers massive usable power for about 9000rpm range, enjoy the bike for what it is and don't try to lug around at idling revs!
Love my CT Meg and will happily live with a bit of idle hunting.
Good luck with finding a solutionSmile
Cheers , Mick.
Wheeldown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wheeldown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2012 at 10:04pm

Very interesting reading as I wait for CT Full System w/ PC5 and Street Map to arrive.  I think anytime you read comments like " is pretty much unrideable from idling speed" it's a bit bothersome.   I never try to lug any bike at any speed, and certainly don't spend a great amount of time idling around parking lot's,  but this sounds a little extreme.  At some point all bikes have to come off idle and smoothly negotiate extremely low end maneuvers.  Interested to hear Brocks input on this topic.

oldguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 1:00am
Well...IMO....it wasn't anything like 'unrideable'....not at all.But to stop it from doing that,I was having to feather and blip the throttle some...which was getting old fast...otherwise,they're excellent add-ons to the 14R.I like to be able to pull up to a stoplight,or that kind of thing...and not deal with the clutch and blipping.Same as if I'm having to go slow in traffic....I wouldn't actually go so far as to say it was lugging...it wasn't.It just seemed to me that the injectors may have had some sort of pulsing going on at those speeds that made it very noticeable and physical having the weight of the bike to be pulled at those low rpms.Once above like 2000,she was smooth as glass.So yeah...I'd get the system and not worry.(I did)...but I'm hoping that this 'behavior' can be mapped out by Brock in the future here.So I'm waiting.No rush.Certainly aren't getting rid of it...no way.
 Post Reply Post Reply